Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's Amazing What You'll Do Just to Get Something Free.....


In my life I have done some pretty crazy things and almost all of them have involved getting something for free. If there is a contest to win, I'll do it and I'll try my best to bring home the prize. I think we're all like that in a way, winning things and feeling the pleasure that comes from winning--no matter what the prize. It's like the father in the movie "A Christmas Story" showing off his hideous lamp in the window of his home. He was so proud and why?.........because he won something!



Such is the case of the Dr. Phil mug. I was on a winning streak of sorts at the time, losing weight on Weight Watchers, working on my business, everything was starting to fall in place. It was the calm before the storm. The rise before the fall and the Dr. Phil mug became a part of that.
My husband, Paul and I had lived in the Los Angeles area for almost 30 years at the time and not once during that time had we been to a live taping of a television show. We decided it was time to embark on such a venture, so we picked the Dr. Phil Show. I'm still not sure why that particular show, by the way. I like Dr. Phil. I think he has some good sound advice, but I'm certainly not fanatical about the show. But we called the number, were put on the list and early one morning, dressed in our best, we headed to Paramount Studios to be part of the audience for the Dr. Phil Show.


When we were told to get there early, my competitive streak began. I am one of those people who is early to everything--I always want to get there first--and the Dr. Phil Show was no exception. We arrived at 6:45 for a 10am taping only to find there were quite a few people ahead of us. People from all over the country. People saying that they would die if they didn't get to see Dr. Phil. People who had traveled thousands of miles just to get a glimpse of the great problem solver. And then there was the couple in front us with stardust in their eyes. They just wanted to see a star. Would Brittany Spears be there? they asked us after they found out we were locals. Where could they find stars? I pointed them in the direction of Jerry's Deli in Studio City( I always seemed to find a star there) and they seemed happy. And as I waited, I wondered, why am I standing in a line in Hollywood this early to see the taping of a show I could easily see in the privacy of my own home? I figured the challenge was to actually get in.


When you get tickets to a live taping, your seats at the show are not guaranteed. It's this way for almost every live taping in Hollywood and the Dr. Phil Show was no different than the rest. We were told to get to the show early, wear nice attire(for our close-up) and come with plenty of energy. The first cut was the line itself. And I was right, the early bird gets to go into the Dr. Phil holding area. The Dr. Phil holding area was somewhat different. We were guaranteed a seat at that point(at least I think we were--I was running on "I'm-actually-in the-building adrenalin" at that point) and Dr. Phil employees went around picking and choosing who would sit where. We were located on an aisle seat. I figured we were put there because we both looked very business like--both Paul and I were wearing suits--and that we would look good in a shot. And then I heard the word----giveaway! I looked up and saw a table of Dr. Phil Books and Dr. Phil mugs and well.......the game was on! How could I get one? What would I have to do? The Dr. Phil employees were saying nothing. One woman wailed "But I came all the way from Canada!" Hey, I thought, I came all the way from the West Valley, traffic is pretty brutal at 5am! I knew at that moment I had to win something. Preferably a mug. Maybe a book. No........it had to be a mug!


We went into the Dr. Phil studio and took our assigned seats and waited. Waited for a sign. Then a young man took the stage and told us that a lot of love and energy was needed to get the Dr. Show off to great start and that love and energy was up to us. We needed to show the love. Show Dr. Phil how much we cared. And....we would be rewarded for our efforts with a prize. Production assistants would walk around the area and "judge" who was the most enthusiastic and reward that audience member with a prize. And then the music began. There was a warm up girl on the stage dancing. Dr. Phil was no where in sight for this jubilation. And as I surveyed the competition I thought, no matter where, no matter what, I've got to get a mug. I danced! I screamed! I jumped up and down! I did movements I did not know I could do. I looked more like a crazed guest of the Dr. Phil Show than a guest in a business suit. And suddenly, there he was. The PA with the mug. He was surveying the entire group. Oh, who would be worthy? He looked at me and he watched. I danced harder and screamed louder and suddenly in my hands was the the cherished Dr. Phil mug!!! I held it reverently. I touched it's surface. I smiled at Paul. I had won!


I don't even remember much about the show that day. I was too busy holding my mug in my hands. I took it home and displayed it in a cabinet where it would receive no harm. I cherished that mug, but like all things, time changes. As I looked around my possessions trying to figure out what I should relinquish, the Dr. Phil mug stood out. I had had my moment in the sun on the Dr. Phil Show and I had won. For a brief moment, I held the excitement of television in my hands and I kept that excitement with me for 5 years.


Life is different for me now than it was then. I'm trying to put all the pieces back together. Trying to build everything up again and right now, the Dr. Phil mug doesn't seem that important. It's time to find it a new home.


To see the Dr. Phil show mug just go to: http://stores.ebay.com/Mabelmaes-Attic

Type in Dr Phil. The mug is looking for a good home. Who knows? It might just be you!


To see the rest of my life that I am selling on eBay, just go to the following address:
http://stores.ebay.com/Mabelmaesa-attic

You never know what you might find!:

No comments:

Post a Comment