Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sometimes...it's hard to let go.....


Looking through all my stuff makes me realize how long and interesting this journey has been and that, well, I've collected a lot of stuff. As I methodically go through my things, there are times I wonder how I am ever going to complete this project! But, I must persevere.....

As I list things, I am finding I have a deep attachment to certain things. One of those things is online now and listing it brought me to tears. The item? A small figurine of an Old English Sheepdog. Why such an attachment?

Well, I used to share my life with a wonderful Old English Sheepdog named Lord Horatio Higby or just plain Higby for short. It had been a lifelong dream of mine to raise one of these magnificent dogs. I prepared for dog ownership like a mother-to-be prepares for her first child. I read books, interviewed breeders and puppy proofed our home. I bought a playpen(yes a playpen) to help with housebreaking my puppy. And when I finally found Higby, I fell in love.

Higby was everything an Old English should be. He was a big hearted dog and I don't think he had a mean bone in his body. We would run together in the morning and everyday was a new adventure. He would dance for joy at the sight of a Milkbone. I spent 11 wonderful years with Higby and then, suddenly, one morning he died.

I am thankful it wasn't a long, drawn out death, but I would have liked to have been able to say goodbye. I do believe we are united after we pass-- humans and the pets that loved them--and I look forward to seeing him once again, running towards me and plopping his front paws on my shoulders to give me a kiss, his rear end wagging furiously.

Sometimes you never realize how much you miss someone until you remember....and then it hurts your soul.....


To see how I'm selling my life on eBay and take a look at what I'm offering, just go to:
http://stores.ebay.com/Mabelmaes-Attic

No comments:

Post a Comment